Valentin Bucik is professor for Psychological Methodology.
He was born May 2nd 1961 in Ljubljana, Slovenia. In 1985 he reached his B.Sc. at the Department of Psychology, University of Ljubljana with the thesis “The selection procedure at the Department of Psychology in Ljubljana: its prognostic validity regarding student's success”. 1989 he reached the M.Sc. at the same department with the thesis: "Development of psychophysical procedures for evaluating the time of photochemical processes in human retina". In 1993 he mastered PhD at the Department of Psychology, University of Ljubljana with the thesis: "Comparative validation of the speed of information processing paradigms and their relation to the classical construct of general (g) intelligence".
In 1985 he taught psychology for one year at the Secondary school of pharmacy in Ljubljana. In 1986 he was employed full time at the Department of psychology, University of Ljubljana as the Assistant for Psychometrics. In 1994 he was elected and reached the title Assistant Professor for Psychological Methodology. From 2005 he is employed full-time as a Professor for Psychological Methodology at the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana and is also a visiting Professor of Psychology at the University of Donja Gorica in Podgorica, Montenegro. Current he is giving lectures in the following courses to students of psychology in Ljubljana: Methodology of Research in Psychology, Multivariate Methods, Test Theory, Intelligence, Giftedness, Creativity in the 1st Bologna cycle, Applied Psychometrics and Advanced Research Methods in Psychology in the 2nd Bologna cycle and Research Methodology in Psychology” in the 3rd Bologna cycle (PhD students). At the UDG in Podgorica he is giving courses Research Methodology II and Principles of Testing (1st and 3rd year of 1st Bologna cycle). He mentored and guided 14 PhD students of psychology in Ljubljana. Currently he is a mentor of 5.
His main research areas are:
- psychophysics, psychological methodology (comparative evaluation of multivariate statistical methods, especially taxonomic techniques, application of multivariate analyses in marketing research, causal modelling with covariance structure analyses),
- psychological assessment and testing (examination of the psychometric properties of certain frequently used psychodiagnostic instruments, test construction, modification and adaptation, creating new tasks/tests for measuring mental speed),
- different areas of differential psychology (examining the structure of psychometric intelligence and the relationship between mental speed and internal structure of psychometric intelligence,
- relationship between intelligence, temperament and personality),
- methodological problems of knowledge assessment and examination in schools, tracking the standards of quality in school and educational system evaluation,
- creativity and enhancement of creativity through art.
Since 1995 he was the principal researcher in the national research projects:
- Speed of information processing in brain as the basis of the hierarchical structure of intelligence,
- Intelligence, mental speed and dimensions of personality,
- Evaluation of the Matura examination and its predictive validity for University studies,
- Ensuring the quality of education in Slovenia,
- Strengthening the information literacy, (with the Department of Psych., University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina),
- Evaluation of the examination process in schools,
- Personality and cognition as determinants of decision,
- Personality, cognition and decision making in the life-perspective,
- Development of the tests factor verbal stimuli processing: cognitive and audiological perspectives.
As an active participant (lecture, oral presentation, poster, organizer and/or moderator of the symposia) he attended more than 60 (mainly international) scientific and professional meetings (congresses, conferences, symposia etc.) in the last 25 years (cf. bibliography).
He was the invited opening keynote-speaker at the following international conferences:
- at the 3rd International Conference on Personality in the context of cognition, emotionality and motivation, Bratislava, Slovak Republic, 2011 (Appearance, decline and revival of mental speed paradigm in intelligence research during the last century),
- at the 4th International Conference on Personality in the context of cognition, emotionality and motivation, Bratislava, Slovak Republic, 2013 (Are more creative individuals less efficient in speeded cognitive tasks?)
- at the 22th International Conference Ramiro and Zoran Bujas Days, University of Zagreb, Croatia, 2015 (Giftedness and creativity: Myth and truth),
- at the 12th Alps Adria Psychology Conference, Rijeka, Croatia, 2016 (The credibility of psychological science at stake: Lessons to be learned from low reproducibility of psychological studies, ISSN 1330-6812),
- at the International Congress of Psychologists of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, BiH, 2017 (Promotion of giftedness through creativity: Teaching academic skills with arts education, ISSN 2490-3906).
His international activities are intense and broad. He consumed the following fellowships: 1991 and 1993 for 2 months at Institut für Psychologie, Universität Wien (Austria - Knafelj fellowship and Rector Conference ARGE Alpe-Adria fellowship), 1994 and 1995 for 3 months at the Institut für Psychologie, Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz (Austria – Rector Conference ARGE Alpe-Adria fellowship and Austrian Institute for Eastern and Middle Europe fellowship). In 1996 he was a visiting researcher at the Institut für Psychologie, Universität Trier (Germany) for 1 month according to TEMPUS fellowship;. Between 1999 and 2011 he served as visiting Professor of Psychometrics at the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts, University of Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina. From 2011 to 2017 he was visiting Professor of Experimental psychology and Psychological Methodology at the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts, University of St. Cyril and Methodius in Trnava, Slovakia and garant of their study program of psychology for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Bologna cycle. From 2000 he periodically lectures in post-graduate programs (3rd Bologna cycle) of psychology at the University of Zagreb (Croatia), University of Rijeka (Croatia), University of Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) and University of Zürich (Switzerland). From 2016 on he is visiting Professor at the Department of Psychology, Faculty of Applied Sciences, University of Donja Gorica, Podgorica, Montenegro.
- Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2007-2011)
- Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2005-2007)
- Head of Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2002-2005) and 2015-2019)
- Deputy-Head of Department of Psychology, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana (2000-2002)
- Editor-in-Chief of the Psihološka obzorja / Horizons of Psychology, the official journal of the Slovene Psychological Association (1999->2005), member of Editorial Board (2005->)
- Member of Editorial Boards of journals Suvremena Psihologija (Croatia; 2002->), Psihologijske teme (Croatia; 2002->), School Field (Slovenia; 2003->)
- One of four Associate Editors of the European Journal of Psychological Assessment (2007-2010)
- Member of Editorial Board of international journal Psychological Test and Assessment Modeling (2009->)
- Reviewer of the articles in journals Personality and Individual Differences,European Journal of Psychological Assessment,Review of Psychology, Croatian Medical Journal, Suvremena psihologija, Psihološka obzorja, Metodološki zvezki, Kinesiologia Slovenica
- Member of The National Committee for General Matura (1998-2003, 2008-2012 and 2012-2016)
- Chair of The National Committee for General Matura (2004-2008)
- Vice-Chair of The National Evaluation Board for Slovene school system (2001-2006)
- Member of The Expert group for educational work with gifted children in primary and secondary school (2013-2016 and 2018-2020) at the National Education Institute of the Republic of Slovenia.
He is a professional collaborator of different Slovenian professional institutions, such as Office for School Development of the Ministry of Education, Science and Sport (Knowledge assessment in schools), National Education Institute of the Republic of Slovenia, National Examination Center and Center of Professional Education in setting the system of knowledge assessment in Matura examination, Center for Psychodiagnostics (development, adaptations, translations and evaluation of psychometric properties of psychological tests (e.g.The Big Five Questionnaires,Raven’s Progressive Matrices,Wechsler’s Scales of Intelligence (WISC and WAIS), Psychodiagnostics in primary schools, Bayley Scales of Infant Development, Pavlovian Temperament Survey ...). He is a member of the Slovene Psychological Association (DPS), EAPA,the European Association of Psychological Assessment (he was Executive Committee member from 2006 to 2011 and Secretary General of the Executive Committee from 2007 to 2011), ISSID, the International Society for the Study of Individual Differences and ISIR, the International Society for Intelligence Research.
His bibliography in COBISS shows 597 units (http://izumbib.izum.si/bibliografije/Y20190214202154-A3105635.html).
Selected important references (20 – chronologically):
Caprara, G. V., Barbaranelli, C., Borgogni, L., Bucik, V., Boben, D., Hruševar-Bobek, B., Krajnc, I., Zupančič, M. & Horvat, M. (2018). Model "velikih pet": pripomočki za merjenje strukture osebnosti (priročnik - 3. dopolnjena izdaja). Ljubljana: Center za psihodiagnostična sredstva. ISBN 978-961-6068-77-2.
Bucik, N., Bucik, G. & Bucik, V. (2017). Dumaj: sbornik golovolomok deja razvitija myšlenija. Moskva: Mann, Ivanov i Ferber. ISBN 978-5-00100-874-3.
Bucik, N., Bucik, G. & Bucik, V. (2017). Mozgalice za bistre glave: zabavni zadaci za djecu, mlade i odrasle. Zagreb: Mozaik knjiga. ISBN 978-953-14-2195-9.
Fric, J. & Bucik, V. (2015). The relationship between creativity and variety of play material in the context of symbolic play. Psihološka obzorja / Horizons of Psychology, 24, 33-43, ISSN 2350-5141.
Šešok, S., Bolle, N., Bucik, V., Vodušek, D. B. & Kobal, J. (2014). Cognitive function in early clinical phase Huntington disease after rivastigmine treatment. Psychiatria Danubina, 26(3), 239-248, ISSN 0353-5053.
Démuthová, S. & Bucik, V. (2013). Fear of dying in relation to religiosity in adults. Studia Psychologica, 1(1), 55-64, ISSN 1642-2473.
Démuthová, S. & Bucik, V. (2013). Interdisciplinary approach to biological theories of crime. Ad Alta, 3(1), 18-22, ISSN 1804-7890.
Zager Kocjan, G., Avsec, A. & Bucik, V. (2013). Construct validity of the Big five implicit association test. Psihološka obzorja / Horizons of Psychology, 22, 91-104, ISSN 2350-5141.
Barić, R. & Bucik, V. (2009). Motivational differences in athletes trained by coaches of different motivational and leadership profiles. Kinesiology, 41(2), 181-194, ISSN 1331-1441.
Podlesek, A., Komidar, L., Sočan, G., Bajec, B., Bucik, V., Brenk, K. M., Vatovec, J. & Žargi, M. (2008). A comparative analysis of different procedures for measuring speech recognition threshold in quiet. Psihološka obzorja / Horizons od Psychology, 17(4), 33-49, ISSN 1318-1874.
Roškar, S., Roškar, M., Bucik, V. & Marušič, A. (2007). Problem solving for depressed suicide attempters and depressed individuals without suicide attempt. Psychiatria Danubina, 19(4), 296-302, ISSN 0353-5053.
Zadravec, T., Bucik, V. & Sočan, G. (2005). The place of dysfunctional and functional impulsivity in the personality structure. Psihološka obzorja / Horizons od Psychology, 14(2), 39-50, ISSN 1318-1874.
Roškar, M., Marušič, A., Čebašek-Travnik, Z. & Bucik, V. (2004). The frontal lobe hypothesis : impairment of executive cognitive functions in chronic alcohol in-patients. Psychiatria Danubina, 16(1/2), 21-28, ISSN 0353-5053.
Bucik, V. (2004). Pouzdanost i valjanost slovenske verzije WISC-III. Suvremena psihologija, 7(1), 5-28, ISSN 1331-9264.
Boben, D. & Bucik, V. (2003). Slovenia. In J. GEORGAS (Ed.). Culture and children's intelligence: Cross-cultural analysis of the WISC-III (pp. 181-197). San Diego, CA: Academic Press. ISBN 0-12-280055-9.
Bucik, V. (2003). Response-order effect in some self-reported personality questionnaires : the case of 16PF and BFQ. Review of Psychology, 10(2), 65-74, ISSN 1330-6812.
Bucik, V. (2002). The role of decision speed in the construct of intelligence. Psihološka obzorja / Horizons of Psychology, 11(4), 69-85, ISSN 1318-1874.
Sočan, G. & Bucik, V. (1998). Relationship between speed of information-processing and two major personality dimensions - extraversion and neuroticism. Personality and Individual Differences, 25(1), 35-48, ISSN 0191-8869.
Neubauer, A. & Bucik, V. (1996). The mental speed - IQ relationship: Unitary or modular? Intelligence, 22(1), 23-48, ISSN 0160-2896.
Bucik, V. & Neubauer, A. (1996). Bimodality in the Berlin model of intelligence structure (BIS): A replication study. Personality and Individual Differences, 21(6), 987-1005, ISSN 0191-8869.